Looking for an easy dinner? Take advantage of frozen foods to shorten your prep time in the evening by using this recipe to dress up frozen burritos. This yummy Tex-Mex frozen burrito casserole starts with frozen burritos and is topped with a delicious creamy sauce and melted cheddar cheese. It goes beyond just making frozen burritos taste better - it will actually become a family favorite!
Because it is easy to prepare and only uses 5 ingredients that are easily kept on-hand, this makes a great "crisis meal" for when you are tempted to run through the drive-thru.
⏲️ Time needed
Total time for this recipe is about 45 minutes, but almost all of that is baking time so it's an easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights.
Start with frozen bean burritos as the time-saving basis for this easy casserole, but you can switch that up if you prefer a different burrito filling. I like the way the bean filling tastes with the creamy gravy, so I always use bean burritos.
- Frozen burritos
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Diced green chilis
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro if desired
This is one of those meals for which I like to keep ingredients on hand - I always have milk and cheese, so if I make sure to have frozen burritos, cream of mushroom soup, and green chilis in the pantry and freezer, I know I can put this together easily on a night when I am out of ideas and energy.
Making Frozen Burrito Casserole is super easy!
Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and place the frozen burritos in the baking dish.
Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, covering all areas.
In a bowl, combine the soup, milk, and green chilies, mixing well, then pour the soup mixture over the burritos.
Cover and seal with aluminum foil and bake at 375ºF for 35-45 minutes.
This is an easy dish to use what you have on hand:
- Burritos - instead of bean burritos, try beef and bean, chicken, or even a chimichanga variety like Spicy Jalapeño Bean & Cheese Chimichangas
- Sauce - switch up the sauce by trying a red or green enchilada sauce in place of the soup and milk
- Cheese - try shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, Mexican blend cheese, or quesadilla cheese in place of cheddar
What kind of burritos should I use?
I like El Monterey bean burritos because the size is nice and we like the flavor, but you can substitute any frozen burrito or chimichanga brand (or even try different varieties like beef or chicken). If you substitute, try to keep the total weight of the frozen burritos about the same (32 ounces) so the sauce will be the correct amount for the dish.
Do I have to use cheddar cheese?
Nope! Feel free to substitute your favorite melting cheese (quesadilla cheese is one of my favorite white melting cheeses).
Do I have to cover it while baking?
Covering the dish is what makes the casserole tender and full of rich sauce. If you prefer, you can remove the foil about 10 minutes before the end of cooking time to brown the cheese.
🥗 Side dishes
I like to serve Frozen Burrito Casserole with any of these sides:
- Green salad
- Tex-Mex Cole Slaw
- Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice
- Slow-cooked green beans
Easy Frozen Burrito Casserole
- 1 package frozen bean burritos, 8 count (32 ounces)
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 5 ounces milk, about ½ soup can
- 4 ounces can diced green chilies, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place frozen burritos in the baking dish.
- Combine soup, milk, and green chilies, mix well and then pour over the burritos.
- Top burritos and soup mixture with cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and seal edges.
- Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes or until heated though and cheese is melted.
I used frozen chicken and rice chimichangas and it was so good!
We made it with breakfast burritos one morning! Total hit! Kids loved it.
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
My family LOVES this recipe! It is so easy and super good!
I'm so glad they like it! It is one of my favorites. :)
We made a bunch of homemade burritos, and froze a lot of left-overs. This recipe is just delicious! I'm heating up the last of our leftover burritos in the casserole, and am already talking to my husband about making more to freeze because this is such an easy and delicious week-night meal. Truly restaurant quality.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it - it's is one of my favorite go to recipes because it is so easy and delicious!