This easy fall dessert has all the flavor of apple pie without all the work. With a thin, crunchy top layer and a rich apple-cinnamon flavor complemented by the crunch of walnuts, it is fabulous alone or à la mode.
The recipe is easy to prepare, so the kids can help; if you have older children, you can act as baking assistant and let them do most of the prep.
⏲️ Time needed
Most of the prep time will be peeling and slicing your apples. This will only take a few minutes, but you may need to allow for a little extra time if you have a small helper who likes to use that corer/slicer/peeler tool you have stuck in the back of the cabinet.
- granulated sugar
- Granny Smith apples
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- nonstick cooking spray
🌾 Adaptations for dietary restrictions
Gluten-free: Flour is the only ingredient you would need to replace here. You can make your own GF flour mix or use one of the many 1 to 1 GF baking or all-purpose flours available in most grocery stores.
Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and egg, then stir in apples and nuts.
Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix. The batter will be thick. Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread out until even.
Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Baked Apple Bars with Walnuts and Cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and egg.
- Stir in apples and nuts.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix gently (expect this batter to be thick).
- Pour/spoon batter into the baking dish and spread out until even.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
📌 Pin this recipe