If you love Cinnamon Sticks from Pizza Hut or CinnaStix from Domino's, you'll love this quick & easy homemade cinnamon sticks recipe made with prepared pizza dough. Our easy cinnamon sticks recipe is at its best when the sticks are served warm from the oven with the sweet vanilla frosting either on top or as a side for dipping.
Delicious copycat Cinna Stix make an easy dessert or sweet addition to a holiday breakfast or brunch. This cinnamon sticks recipe is ready in under 20 minutes, making it perfect for a last-minute snack or dessert.
What you need to make homemade cinnamon sticks
Using prepared pizza dough saves time and avoids the flour mess that comes with using a mixer, but it still results in tender, sweet cinnamon sticks with delicious fresh-baked taste and texture.
- Refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Melted butter, divided
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make homemade cinnamon sticks
Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl and set it aside.
Roll out the pizza dough onto a greased cookie sheet or seasoned baking stone.
Brush melted butter over the pizza dough and sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
Using a knife or pizza cutter, slice the dough into 1x6 inch strips and separate slightly on the baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
For the frosting, mix powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla in a small bowl, then stir in just enough milk to make a thick paste.
Working with pizza dough - Keep the pizza dough in the fridge until you are ready to use it. It becomes harder to work with as it warms.
Easier cleanup - Baking on parchment paper saves cleanup - just line your baking sheet with parchment paper to fit and follow all directions as usual. Discard parchment paper after baking.
Serving with icing - You can serve the cinnamon sticks fresh from the oven with the icing on the side as a dipping sauce or pour the icing over the warm cinnamon sticks before serving. When serving as a dessert, I prefer serving with icing on the side. When serving in addition to other courses for breakfast or brunch, I find it easier to drizzle the icing on the sticks before serving. Letting the cinnamon sticks cool with the icing on them gives more of a glaze finish.
- Cream cheese - add an ounce or two of cream cheese to the icing by blending it with the powdered sugar before mixing in the milk
- Orange - add a bit of orange juice or orange zest to the icing by mixing it in before the milk
Baked cinnamon sticks will save on the counter for 2-3 days in an airtight container. If you plan to reheat the cinnamon sticks, it is best to serve the icing on the side rather than as a glaze. To best preserve the fresh-baked texture when reheating, wrap the sticks in foil and heat for 5-8 minutes in a preheated 350ºF oven.
Easy Homemade Cinnamon Sticks with Pizza Dough
- 13.8 ounce tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- up to 1 tablespoon milk
- Mix 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll out 13.8 ounce tube refrigerated pizza dough onto a greased cookie sheet or stone.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter and brush over pizza dough.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix over melted butter on pizza dough.
- Slice dough into 1x6 inch strips and separate slightly on the baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Melt ½ tablespoon butter.
- Mix melted butter, 1 cup powdered sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Stir in up to 1 tablespoon milk to make a thick paste.
- Serve warm cinnamon sticks with icing for dipping or drizzle icing over cinnamon sticks before serving.