This stovetop dish can be easily adapted to use what you have on hand; the basic recipe can be used in any number of unique combinations. Substitute any pasta for fusilli, any vegetable or vegetable mix for broccoli, add chicken, or experiment with various cheeses. Omit the lemon juice if your combination of vegetables and cheese doesn’t work well with the citrus flavor, and adjust the cooking time of the pasta and vegetables as needed.
Cheddary Spirals with Broccoli
- 16 oz. fusilli pasta
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, approx. the juice of ½ lemon
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- Add pasta to a large stock pot of boiling water on the stove. Cook for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Drain in colander.
- While pasta and broccoli are draining, put the stock pot back on the heat and cook off any excess water in the pan. Add butter and melt but do not brown.
- Add flour and stir with a whisk over medium heat for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of broth and combine well with whisk until mixture starts to thicken. Add another cup of broth and whisk until smooth. Add remaining broth and cook and stir over medium heat until heated through and even consistency.
- Stir in garlic salt, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Add cheese a cup at a time, stirring to integrate into broth mixture.
- Heat and stir occasionally over medium heat for about 10 minutes as cheese melts. A whisk will help the mixture conform to an even consistency.
- Gently fold in pasta and broccoli until well coated in cheese sauce. Serve garnished with shredded cheddar cheese.
Pin this recipe: