Week 43 Summary
Notes for this week
|Homemade Pimento Cheese Sandwiches||Apple, Grape & Walnut Salad||Baked Apple Bars|
|Cheesy Spirals||Caprese Salad|
|Oven-Baked Italian Hamburger Pie||Sourdough Bread|
|Savory Chicken and Mushroom Bake||Sautéed Zucchini and Onions||Sugar Snap Peas|
|Black Bean Soup||Green Salad||Tortilla Chips & Salsa|
🗓️ Day 1
- Homemade Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Apple, Grape & Walnut Salad
- Baked Apple Bars with Walnuts and Cinnamon
Homemade Pimento Cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise plus more as needed, Duke's is really the only choice for the best pimento cheese!
- 4 oz. jar diced pimentos, drained
- dash ground cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium size bowl, mix the cheeses and the mayonnaise until well blended. Add additional mayonnaise as needed for a creamy consistency.
- Add the diced pimentos and mix well. Season with ground cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper to taste. Refrigerate leftovers.
Apple, Grape, and Walnut Salad
- 3 Granny Smith apples, washed, cored, and sliced
- 2 cups red grapes, washed and pulled from the stems
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 8 oz. vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- Blend together yogurt and cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine fruit and nuts and serve with vanilla yogurt mixture.
Baked Apple Bars with Walnuts and Cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and egg.
- Stir in apples and nuts.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix gently (expect this batter to be thick).
- Pour/spoon batter into the baking dish and spread out until even.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
🗓️ Day 2
- Cheesy Spirals
- Caprese Salad
Cheesy Spiral Pasta
- 16 oz. pasta spirals
- 2 lbs cooked ground beef
- 28 oz. spaghetti sauce
- 10.5 oz condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta spirals according to package instructions, slightly undercooking. Drain and rinse; return to pan.
- Add cooked ground beef, spaghetti sauce, cheddar cheese soup, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until well mixed. Remove from heat and stir in shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Spray 1- 9"x12" pan and 1- 8"x8" pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour mixture into pans. Bake the larger pan at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Wrap the smaller pan for the freezer and label as "Cheese Spirals: Thaw. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until heated through."
Caprese Salad with Balsamic Vinegar
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes in the same diameter as the mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, or balsamic glaze
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Either alternate lengthwise or stack slices of mozzarella cheese, tomato, and fresh basil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper then drizzle with Balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.
🗓️ Day 3
- Oven-Baked Italian Hamburger Pie
- Sourdough Bread
Oven-Baked Italian Hamburger Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- ¼ cup water
- 10 ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, cook ground beef and onion until done.
- Add vegetables and water to skillet and stir to mix.
- Stir in soup, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian seasoning.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Leftover roast beef can be substituted for the ground beef.
- Add a can of drained fire-roasted tomatoes or a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste for an even richer flavor.
🗓️ Day 4
- Savory Chicken and Mushroom Bake
- Sautéed Zucchini and Onions
- Sugar Snap Peas
Savory Chicken and Mushroom Bake
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Make a white sauce by melting butter, then adding flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring constantly.
- Add seasonings and mushrooms and mix well.
- Combine chicken, cooked noodles, and prepared sauce.
- Place in an ungreased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes.
Pan Sautéed Zucchini and Onion
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Melt butter in a large skillet
- Sauté zucchini and onion in butter until tendercrisp.
Sautéed Sugar Snap Peas
- 8 oz sugar snap peas, raw
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- Melt butter in a small fry pan.
- Add sugar snap peas and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently, until peas are covered with butter.
- Sprinkle with sugar and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until peas are tendercrisp and bright green.
🗓️ Day 5
- Black Bean Soup
- Green Salad
Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb. prepared dried black beans, ⅔ cup liquid reserved
- 28 oz vegetable broth (or 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon no chicken soup base with 28 ounces of water)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 10 oz tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Sour cream, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, and chopped jalapenos as desired for garnish
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil in a skillet.
- While the vegetables sauté, combine ½ of the prepared beans with all of the reserved liquid and the broth in a large soup pot. Using an immersion blender, puree the beans.
- When onions and peppers are tender, add them to the pureed beans in the soup pot along with the remaining beans, garlic, tomatoes and green chilies, lime juice, and seasonings. Stir gently and simmer until soup is hot and flavors are blended, about 30-45 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, and chopped jalapenos as desired for garnish.
🧾 Create a shopping list
Note that any recipe scaling from the recipes above does not carry over to the starting point for the grocery list, so you will need to make those same serving adjustments below after you click the Shopping List button. To print the notes for each day, after clicking the Shopping List button, click Print Collection.