This deliciously easy crockpot meal can be served over rice or in tortillas. With classic Mexican ingredients mixed with cream cheese for a creamy texture, Easy Mexican-Style Crockpot Chicken is perfect for a flavorful weeknight meal with no fuss.
Like almost everyone else, I look for cooking inspiration on Pinterest. When I saw this post with the title “The Easiest Dinner Ever” with some of my favorite ingredients listed, I knew I had to try it. While it isn’t the prettiest meal I’ve ever made, it was delicious and couldn’t be easier. We will definitely have it again!
It only requires a few simple ingredients and the seasonings can be adjusted to your preference. The basic ingredients are cream cheese, chicken, beans, corn, and Rotel. For a vegetarian version, just omit the chicken and increase the quantity and variety of beans. For seasonings, you can use fresh cilantro (pictured) or cilantro from the freezer (just add it frozen), garlic salt, and adobo seasoning. (Did you notice the Hispanic brand garlic salt and cumin? Buying spices on the Hispanic aisle is a great way to save money.)
Plan to cook the dish in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours. Place the chicken in slow cooker and add cream cheese, black beans, corn, and Rotel and turn on low. Every couple of hours, stir gently. When the chicken is thoroughly cooked, season to taste with desired herbs and spices. You can either shred the chicken or serve it in large pieces. The longer you cook it, the more tender the chicken is, so for shredded chicken, cook longer until it shreds easily with a fork. If you prefer large pieces of chicken, cook for less time. Serve over rice.
Easy Mexican-Style Slow Cooker Chicken
- 2.5 lbs. boneless chicken
- 8 oz. light cream cheese
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can corn, drained
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies with juice
- Seasonings as desired, cilantro, garlic salt, adobo, etc.
- 5 cups rice
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Add cream cheese, black beans, corn, and Rotel.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, depending on how hot your slow cooker cooks. Every couple of hours, stir gently.
- When the chicken is thoroughly cooked, season to taste with desired herbs and spices.
- The longer you cook it, the more tender the chicken is, so if you would like to shred the chicken, keep cooking until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. If you prefer large pieces of chicken, cook for less time and serve before chicken begins falling apart.
- Serve over rice.