Tangy balsamic and onion dressing pairs perfectly with vegetables, rice, and chicken in this versatile dish. It’s great for any time of the year because it can be served hot as a casserole or cold as a salad.
⏲️ Time needed
Since you’re starting with cooked ingredients, you’ll only need to prepare the vegetables. Prep and assembly will only take about 10 minutes. Don’t forget to thaw the peas before you start!
- red onion, or green onion
- black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- cooked rice
- frozen peas
- cooked chicken
- Montreal Chicken Seasoning
🌾 Adaptations for dietary restrictions
Montreal chicken seasoning isn’t officially GF, but McCormick says they note when their “natural seasonings” and such include gluten (find out more in the FAQs under the contact form on McCormick’s contact page). However, it’s best to always do your own research on any product and make the best decision for your family.
There are also recipes for homemade Montreal chicken seasoning available online; making your own allows you to control the ingredients, and spice mixes are quick and easy to make.
Mix the dressing ingredients and set aside.
Combine the salad ingredients (except lettuce) in a large bowl. Add the dressing and stir gently until well mixed.
Serve hot as a casserole (bake for 30 minutes at 350ºF) or cold on a bed of lettuce.
My friend Cheryl shared this recipe with me and I just loved it. Like most of the recipes I use, it can be adjusted based on what you have on hand. You could change the seasonings or the vegetables used. I did not have any red or green onion so I used about 2 Tbsp dehydrated onion and it worked fine. This is one recipe where you don’t have to be afraid to mix things up.
This tasty recipe is incredibly versatile—hot, cold, main dish, side, meat-based, or vegetarian!
- For a delicious summer lunch, serve it cold on a bed of lettuce.
- For use with beef, substitute some Asian style salad dressing instead of the homemade dressing (omit the Montreal seasoning).
- For a hearty dinner, bake it wth some shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- For a hot or cold side, omit the chicken and serve it in smaller portions.
I’d love to hear how you changed things up—leave a comment or tag @addsaltandserve on Instagram!
Versatile Veggies and Rice with Chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, or green onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Mix dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Combine the salad ingredients (except lettuce) in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and stir gently until well mixed.
- Serve hot as a casserole or cold on a bed of lettuce.
📌 Pin this recipe