Four ingredients pack a flavorful punch in this quick and simple Brown Sugar Kielbasa on the stove top. Easy to make and store, this stove top recipe also makes an impressive kielbasa bites appetizer. Tangy and addictive, these delicious kielbasa bites in brown sugar glaze can be made ahead and reheated in a skillet or crock pot.
What you need to make Stove Top Brown Sugar Kielbasa
- Beef kielbasa sausage (or turkey kielbasa)
- Light brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Parsley for garnish if desired
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Stove Top Brown Sugar Kielbasa
Combine the apple cider vinegar and the brown sugar in a skillet.
Heat the brown sugar and cider over medium heat, stirring frequently, until brown sugar is dissolved.
Add the sliced onion and kielbasa to the brown sugar and vinegar syrup and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until liquid is almost gone.
Serve garnished with parsley if desired.
How do I know when kielbasa is done?
Vacuum sealed Polish sausage purchased refrigerated at the grocery store is already fully cooked, so you do not need to worry about consuming raw sausage. Just cook as directed in the recipe and serve at the desired temperature.
How should I store Brown Sugar Kielbasa?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave, in a skillet, or if preparing ahead of time as an appetizer, a crock pot.
What is the best way to cook Polish kielbasa?
Polish kielbasa is fully cooked when purchased refrigerated at the grocery store. It can be used in sweet and savory recipes. Kielbasa is often cooked on the stove top in a skillet as this sweet Brown Sugar Kielbasa is, or sliced lengthwise and cooked with peppers and onions. It is delicious grilled, or cooked in the slow cooker like this savory Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Kielbasa that uses frozen hash browns as a short cut.
Does kielbasa need to be peeled before it is cooked?
No, kielbasa does not need to be peeled before eating. The casing is edible.
Brown Sugar Kielbasa (Stove Top)
- 24 ounces beef Polska kielbasa
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- parsley, optional for garnish
- Thinly slice 1 large onion, and slice 24 ounces beef Polska kielbasa crosswise.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup light brown sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add onions and kielbasa. Cook for 15 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Cook uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes or until liquid is almost gone.
- Serve garnished with parsley if desired.