The citrus and garlic dressing lends the perfect flavor to lentil and carrots with artichokes. Serve it as a side, or add cooked chicken and make it a meal.
I put this salad together using what we had on hand, so feel free to adjust it to what you have. A friend told me about making a dressing with oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. We love garlic so I used over half of a bulb in my dressing, but feel free to reduce that based on your preference—half a bulb is a lot of garlic!
By rinsing the cooked lentils with cold water, it’s easy to prepare this salad and have it chilled a half hour before serving. If you would prefer it to be really cold you could make it several hours ahead.
- 1-½ cups dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 10.5 oz cans chicken broth
- water, as needed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup almonds, sliced or slivered
- 4 oz. jar artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1-½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the chicken broth to boiling. Add bay leaf and lentils. Cook for 20 minutes or until lentils are just tender, adding water if needed.
- In a medium bowl, combine carrots, almonds, and artichoke hearts. In a jar, combine all dressing ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- When lentils are cooked, drain and rinse with cold water. Remove bay leaf and discard. Add lentils to other ingredients in the bowl and mix gently.
- Cover with dressing and mix well. Serve cold.
Nutrition per serving
Pin this recipe: