Week 41 Summary
Notes for this week
|Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja||Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice||Honey Bun Cake|
|Shrimp in Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce||Tomato Squash Bake|
|Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole||Easy 15 Minute Microwave Acorn Squash||Seasoned Green Beans|
|Pasta e Fagioli||Green Salad with Italian Dressing|
|Barbecue Roasted Chicken||Boiled Red Potatoes||Creamed Peas|
Send me the meal plans!
🗓️ Day 1
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Honey Bun Cake
Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1.5 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 1-2” cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional for garnish)
- Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until the meat begins to fall apart (about 6 hours). Be mindful of how hot your slow cooker cooks since they all heat differently. Larger volume slow cookers will cook the same amount of food much faster than a smaller volume slow cooker.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired and serve.
For richer flavor, add a few tablespoons of tomato paste.
Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ½ cups long-grain white rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 ½ cups water
- ⅔ cup frozen mixed vegetables
- In a mesh strainer, rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Drain well.
- In a large skillet heat oil and add rice. Cook until the rice starts to appear somewhat glossy.
- Once browned, add garlic, onion, cumin, bouillon, and tomato sauce and stir to mix.
- Add water and frozen vegetables and stir gently.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Honey Bun Cake
For the cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup oil
For the swirl mixture:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, and oil (mixture may be slightly lumpy). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish, spreading the batter out evenly. Add half of the swirl mixture to the top, covering the entire layer of batter. Pour the remaining batter on top, and spread out until even. Top with the rest of the swirl mixture.
- With a knife, swirl the batter together in a circular motion. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- To make the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until glaze is smooth and lump free.
- Top cake immediately with glaze as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let cool before serving.
🗓️ Day 2
- Shrimp in Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce
- Tomato Squash Bake
Shrimp in Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce over Penne Pasta
- Oil, as needed
- 2 shallots, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water, room temperature
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 lb. frozen raw shrimp, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
Roast the Garlic
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the garlic bulbs across the top to expose the very top of the cloves.
- Set the bulbs on a piece of aluminum foil then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Close the foil around the garlic tightly and roast for about 45 minutes or until very tender (when done, you should be able to squeeze the garlic out of the head easily; the cloves will be darkened but not burned).
- Allow to cool, then remove the roasted garlic by gently squeezing it out the top of the head. Set aside.
Prepare the Pasta and Sauce
- Cook the penne pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and add the shallots.
- Sauté shallots until light brown, add chicken broth and garlic.
- In a small container, mix the water and cornstarch well.
- Bring skillet ingredients to a boil and add milk and cornstarch that has been diluted in the water.
- Place mixture into a blender (or place into a bowl and use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth.
- Place shrimp in skillet and sauté until done.
- Add the creamy garlic mixture back to the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and cilantro.
- Add the cheese and allow to thicken.
- Serve over prepared penne pasta.
Tomato and Squash Bake
- 1 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- non-stick cooking spray
- Wash all vegetables.
- Mince the garlic and chop the green onions and oregano. Combine in a bowl with the Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Slice zucchini and yellow squash and toss with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer ½ of the zucchini and squash in the prepared baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and layer 2 tomatoes over the squash. Sprinkle with ½ of the Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Layer with the rest of the squash, tomatoes, and cheese mixture as before. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes then cut into squares and serve.
- If you do not have access to fresh oregano, you can use 1 tsp. dried oregano.
- Vegans and those avoiding dairy can omit the Parmesan cheese or use a dairy-free alternative.
🗓️ Day 3
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Easy 15 Minute Microwave Acorn Squash
- Seasoned Green Beans
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- 1 sleeve round buttery crackers, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- poppy seed for garnish
- Combine chicken, soups, sour cream, 1 sleeve crackers, and 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds in a large bowl. Mix well and transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Mix together remaining crackers and melted butter and sprinkle on top. Garnish with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes.
Easy 15 Minute Microwave Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tsp. brown sugar or honey
- dash of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. butter
- dash of salt
- 2 Tbsp. water, for steaming
- Wash acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds.
- Place cut side down into a glass baking dish containing 2 Tbsp. water.
- Cook in microwave until squash is tender, about 6 minutes (time depends on your microwave strength and the number of squash you are cooking).
- Remove from microwave, turn squash right side up in same dish.
- Into each hollow, place butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cook in microwave until butter mixture is bubbly, about 2-4 minutes. Serve hot.
- Cook in microwave until butter mixture is bubbly. Serve hot.
Seasoned Green Beans
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen green beans
- 2 tsp. butter
- ¼ package Good Seasonings Italian dressing mix
- If needed, trim green beans of ends and strings. If using frozen green beans, thaw first.
- Lightly steam green beans.
- Melt butter in large fry pan. Add green beans. Sprinkle with the ¼ package of seasoning mix and stir well while sautéing.
🗓️ Day 4
- Pasta e Fagioli
- Green Salad with Italian Dressing
Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 14.5 oz. vegetable or chicken broth
- 29 oz. fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ditalini, orzo, or other small pasta
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans, with liquid
- shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
- fresh parsley, for garnish if desired
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté celery, onion, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer on low 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook 7-10 minutes until pasta is al dente. Add undrained beans. Mix thoroughly and continue cooking until heated through.
- Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese and fresh parsely on top if desired and serve.
🗓️ Day 5
- Barbecue Roasted Chicken
- Boiled Red Potatoes
- Creamed Peas
Barbecue Roasted Chicken
- 5 lb. whole chicken
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- oil as needed
- Loosen skin from the chicken on all sides. Coat chicken between the skin and meat with half of the barbecue sauce and all the garlic, distributing as evenly as possible.
- Tie legs together and place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Drizzle a small amount of oil over the top.
- Bake at 375°F for about 1 hour to 1 ½ hours or until chicken is cooked through. During the last 15 minutes brush remaining barbecue sauce over the chicken.
Boiled Red Potatoes with Butter
- 1.5 lbs. small red potatoes, cleaned
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to pan.
- Toss with butter and salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour and stir with a whisk for 1 minute, taking care not to brown the flour and butter mixture. Continue stirring constantly and gradually add the milk, salt, pepper, and sugar. Heat to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add peas and heat to a simmer. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 3-5 minutes. Peas should be tender-crisp, so take care not to overcook.
🧾 Create a shopping list
Note that any recipe scaling from the recipes above does not carry over to the starting point for the grocery list, so you will need to make those same serving adjustments below after you click the Shopping List button. To print the notes for each day, after clicking the Shopping List button, click Print Collection.
📌 Pin this meal plan