Week 21 Summary
Notes for this week
|Crockpot Roast Beef and Gravy||Rice||Peas and Carrots|
|Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken||Apple Raisin Salad||Grilled Asparagus|
|Open-Faced Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches||Mashed Potatoes||Steamed Broccoli|
|Asparagus Chicken Salad with Pecans||Apple Slices and Cheddar|
|Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya||Green Salad|
Send me the meal plans!
🗓️ Day 1
- Crockpot Roast Beef and Gravy
- Peas and Carrots
Easy Crockpot Roast Beef & Gravy
For the roast:
- 3 lb. beef rump roast
- Salt, as needed
- Coarsely ground black pepper, as needed
For the gravy:
- 1 cup beef broth, or more as needed
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. flour
- Cut excess fat from roast if necessary.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over roast and press into sides.
- Place roast in crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours or until done to your preference.
- Remove roast from crockpot, reserving drippings, and let rest while preparing gravy.
- Strain the drippings from the roast into a pan and add ½ cup of the beef broth. Heat over medium heat.
- In a jar with a lid, mix flour with about ½ cup beef broth, shaking well to combine.
- Slowly add about half of the flour mixture to the drippings over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Continue to heat and whisk as the gravy thickens. If necessary, add more of the flour mixture to thicken or more beef broth to thin.
- The roast beef gravy is ready when it is heated through and you are happy with the consistency.
- Slice the roast against the grain and serve with gravy.
🗓️ Day 2
- Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken
- Apple Raisin Salad
- Grilled Asparagus
Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken
- 1 large roasting chicken, about 5 lbs.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons salt
- In a small bowl, thoroughly combine everything except the chicken and chopped onion. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin.
- Place in a sealed marinating container and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or until cooked through. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown when it is ready.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the meat is thoroughly cooked (165°F internal temperature).
- Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.
🗓️ Day 3
- Open-Faced Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
- Mashed Potatoes
- Steamed Broccoli
Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
- 1 lb leftover roast beef
- 4 slices bread
- 1 cup brown gravy
- Slice leftover roast beef thinly and heat. Place roast beef slices on top of bread and cover with hot gravy before serving.
Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs. potatoes, cleaned and peeled (see note below)
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- ¼ cup skim milk, or more as needed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- paprika, for garnish
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil until potatoes are fork tender; drain and return to pot.
- Add 4 Tbsp. butter, salt, and pepper to pot and mix; adding enough milk while mixing to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a serving bowl, top with 2 Tbsp. butter, and garnish with paprika.
🗓️ Day 4
- Asparagus Chicken Salad with Pecans
- Apple Slices with Cheddar Cheese
Asparagus Chicken Salad with Pecans
- 16 oz. penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt, to taste
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cooked & cubed (from freezer)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and asparagus; sauté 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add basil, salt, pepper, butter, and cooked chicken. Cook until chicken is heated through.
- Add cooked, drained pasta, Parmesan cheese, and pecans. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately.
- Before chopping the asparagus, prepare it by rinsing it under running water, then holding it with both hands and snapping off the tough end. Hold the stalk so that the hand on the tip end is closer to the center of the stalk and the hand on the cut end is close to the end of the stalk. Bring your hands down and toward each other, and the stalk will snap just where it starts to get tough at the end.
- Vegetarian option Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. You can either simply omit the chicken altogether, increasing the amount of asparagus and red pepper, or substitute a can of rinsed cannellini beans for the chicken.
🗓️ Day 5
- Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- Green Salad
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- 2 cups water
- 10 oz Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
- 15.5 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (from freezer)
- 1 chopped and sautéed onion, from freezer
- 8 oz box jambalaya rice mix
- 13 oz turkey kielbasa, cooked and cut in half lengthwise then cut into 1/2" slices
- 1 chopped and sautéed green bell pepper, chopped (from freezer)
- Bring water and Rotel tomatoes and green chilies to a boil in a large pot.
- Add black beans, cooked chicken, sautéed onions and peppers, and rice mix. Cover and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, sauté the sliced kielbasa until browned. Drain off grease and add kielbasa slices to the rice mixture, stirring gently. Continue cooking until the 20 minutes is up and the rice is tender. Serve immediately.
🧾 Create a shopping list
Note that any recipe scaling from the recipes above does not carry over to the starting point for the grocery list, so you will need to make those same serving adjustments below after you click the Shopping List button. To print the notes for each day, after clicking the Shopping List button, click Print Collection.