Week 17 Summary
Notes for this week
|Chicken Lo Mein||Acorn Squash|
|Barley Lentil Soup||Bread of Your Choice|
|Ravioli with Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Cream Sauce||Glazed Baby Carrots|
|Burrito Casserole||Caramelized Pineapple|
|Savory Swiss Steak||Mashed Potatoes||Green Peas with Butter|
Send me the meal plans!
🗓️ Day 1
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Acorn Squash
Quick Chicken “Lo Mein”
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 3 oz. pkg. chicken flavored Ramen Noodles
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 red or yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets or cauliflower
- 3 med. green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp. parsley
- 1 ¼ Tbsp soy sauce
- Break apart ramen noodles and set aside. Heat oil in skillet or wok and stir fry chicken until reheated, about 2 minutes.
- Add broken noodles to skillet with water, seasoning packet, vegetables, parsley and soy sauce. Heat until liquid boils.
- Reduce heat and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. When noodles are soft, serve immediately.
Easy 15 Minute Microwave Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tsp. brown sugar or honey
- dash of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. butter
- dash of salt
- 2 Tbsp. water, for steaming
- Wash acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds.
- Place cut side down into a glass baking dish containing 2 Tbsp. water.
- Cook in microwave until squash is tender, about 6 minutes (time depends on your microwave strength and the number of squash you are cooking).
- Remove from microwave, turn squash right side up in same dish.
- Into each hollow, place butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cook in microwave until butter mixture is bubbly, about 2-4 minutes. Serve hot.
- Cook in microwave until butter mixture is bubbly. Serve hot.
🗓️ Day 2
- Barley Lentil Soup
- Bread of Your Choice
Barley Lentil Soup
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated, drained, and chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano, dried and crumbled
- 70 oz. vegetable broth, plus more for thinning as desired
- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add next 7 ingredients and cook until bell pepper just softens (about 6 minutes).
- Mix in the broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, stir in barley and lentils.
- Reduce heat and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 ½ hours.
- Thin soup to desired consistency with additional broth, and season with salt and pepper before serving.
🗓️ Day 3
- Ravioli with Sun-dried Tomatoes in Cream Sauce
- Glazed Baby Carrots
Ravioli with Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Cream Sauce
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb. ravioli
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper, less if you don't like spicy food
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil packed, drained, rinsed, & sliced
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Fill a stock pot with water and heat to boiling for ravioli.
- Combine cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, crushed red pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes. Heat cream sauce over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until thickened.
- While cream sauce is heating, boil ravioli according to package directions. Drain ravioli and return it to the stock pot.
- Add cream sauce, which should be thickened, to cooked ravioli. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve immediately.
Glazed Baby Carrots
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Salt to taste
- Cook carrots by steaming to your tenderness preference. Place remaining ingredients in a serving bowl, and when carrots are done, add to bowl while still hot. Toss gently until coated with glaze.
🗓️ Day 4
- Easy Burrito Casserole
- Caramelized Pineapple
Easy Frozen Burrito Casserole
- 1 pkg frozen bean burritos, 8 count
- 10 oz 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ can of milk
- 4 oz diced green chilies
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place frozen burritos in the baking dish.
- Combine soup, milk, and green chilies, mix well and then pour over the burritos. Top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes or until heated though and cheese is melted.
3 Ingredient Caramelized Pineapple
- 40 oz canned pineapple rings, drained
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Melt butter in a large skillet and allow to start browning slightly. Add brown sugar and stir until it becomes thicker and syrupy.
- Add pineapple slices and cook until they become a nice brown color, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove pineapple slices into a serving bowl leaving the syrup in the skillet.
- Reduce the sauce by about a third by cooking over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for around 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over the pineapple and serve.
🗓️ Day 5
- Savory Swiss Steak
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Peas with Butter
Savory Swiss Steak
- 1 ½ lbs round steak, approx. 1 inch thick, cut into 6 pieces
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp oil, divided
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Coat steak with a mixture of flour, mustard, salt, and pepper. In a skillet, brown the meat in 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Heat remaining butter and oil in same skillet. Sauté onion, carrots, and celery until almost tender, then add to crockpot with meat.
- In the same skillet, combine tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Heat, scraping up drippings, until skillet is deglazed. Pour tomato mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until tender. Serve meat with vegetable sauce spooned over the steak.
Instant Pot Instructions
- (Instant Pot instructions are courtesy of Carolyn, who converted the recipe for use in her IP. Note that the venting instructions are *not* tested.)
- Coat steak with a mixture of flour, mustard, salt, and pepper. On sauté mode, brown the meat in 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil.
- Remove the steak from the pot and set aside.
- Sauté onion, carrots, and celery until almost tender.
- Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar and use it to deglaze the pot.
- Add the beef back to the pot and stir gently just enough to cover the meat in sauce.
- Add cover and seal. Cook on Stew mode for 30 minutes.
- Vent as preferred; NPR was used in Carolyn's conversion but venting immediately would probably work fine. (Let us know how your method worked in the comments.)
🧾 Create a shopping list
Note that any recipe scaling from the recipes above does not carry over to the starting point for the grocery list, so you will need to make those same serving adjustments below after you click the Shopping List button. To print the notes for each day, after clicking the Shopping List button, click Print Collection.