Preparing the chicken in a fresh garlic and ginger marinade and cooking in sesame oil is the secret to the wonderful flavor in Chinese Chicken with Cashews.
Chinese Chicken with Cashews
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- 2 cups Calrose rice, prepared
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup cooking sherry
- 4 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- Mix all marinade ingredients together thoroughly in a small bowl. Pour half of marinade over raw chicken in a container with a lid. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Reserve other half of marinade for basting later in the cooking process.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Carefully add chicken to heated oil. Use a slotted spoon to avoid adding the marinade to the hot oil. Add the garlic and ginger from the marinade, then dispose of the leftover marinade from the chicken.
- Stir fry until chicken is cooked through; remove chicken from skillet and keep warm. Add the red bell pepper slices to the skillet and stir fry for 2 minutes. Next, add cornstarch to the reserved marinade. Add cornstarch/marinade mixture and the chicken to the peppers in the skillet; stir fry for 2 more minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with scallions and cashews. Serve over rice.
Nutrition per serving