Homemade macaroni and cheese is worth the effort for the comforting "welcome home" feeling it evokes. This version with a crushed crouton topping is the perfect blend of creamy and crunchy.
Macaroni and Cheese
- ½ lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon hot/ warm water
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup seasoned croutons, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain thoroughly and return to pan.
- Stir in butter and egg; mix mustard and salt with water and add to macaroni.
- Add cheese, reserving ½ cup to sprinkle on the top.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Pour milk over noodles and cheese – do not stir it in but distribute evenly. Sprinkle with cheese and croutons.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until set and the top is brown.
Nutrition per serving
Pin this recipe: