Versatile zucchini adds flavor and nutrients to lasagna, and zucchini lasagna is a great way to use fresh zucchini from your garden. This recipe freezes well too, so it's a good way to preserve your harvest by stocking your freezer. You can use ground beef or leave it out for a vegetarian lasagna.
This lasagna will freeze well so you can divide it into 2- 8x8” pans and freeze one for later use or you can double the ingredients and make two pans, using one for tonight’s meal and freezing one for later use.
- 4 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cooked ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a parchment lined cookie sheet, line prepared zucchini slices in a single layer and sprink lightly with salt. Bake for 10 minutes, turning once half way through bake time. Remove zucchini from oven; reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Combine cooked ground beef, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large skillet and sauté for about five minutes. Add spaghetti sauce to meat/vegetable mixture and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a lightly sprayed 9x13" baking dish, assemble lasagna as follows: layer ⅓ of sauce mixture followed by a layer of ⅓ of zucchini, a layer of ½ of the ricotta, a layer of ⅓ of the Parmesan, and a layer of ⅓ of the mozzarella. Repeat all layers: ⅓ of meat, ⅓ of zucchini, remainder of ricotta, ⅓ of Parmesan, and ⅓ of Mozzarella. For final layer, use remainder of sauce mix, remainder of zucchini, and the rest of the Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Omit the ground beef for a vegetarian version.
Nutrition per serving
Calories: 389 calCarbohydrates: 15 gProtein: 32 gFat: 23 gSodium: 1005 mgFiber: 4 gSugar: 8 g
Adapted from Zucchini Lasagna at Dashing Dish.
Leave a Reply