Fajitas are a crowd-pleasing all-in-one meal, and this Texas Fajitas recipe with beef, chicken, and shrimp is always a hit! Pile on your preferred filling and toppings and enjoy.
⏲️ Time Needed
Plan to start about an hour and a half before you want to serve dinner in order to marinate the chicken and beef. I use this amazing Soy Garlic Marinade for beef to marinate both the chicken and beef for about an hour. Since the meat is already cut into strips, it doesn't take as long to marinate as a whole cut of meat. Cooking takes about 15 minutes, as does ingredient prep, so total time is 1-½ hours.
After marinating, the recipe is as simple as sautéing the meat and vegetables (the quick cooking tomatoes and shrimp are added at the end) and serving with condiments and tortillas. You can serve fajitas with pre-prepared guacamole, but this easy homemade guacamole made with fresh, ripe avocados takes this dish to a whole different level.
What are Fajitas Texanas?
Typically, fajitas are made with a single main ingredient (either beef, chicken, or shrimp). Fajitas Texanas, also called Texas Fajitas, are made with all three main ingredients. They are often found on the menu at Mexican restaurants in the US.
What toppings should I serve with fajitas?
I like to serve fajitas with salsa or pico de gallo, cilantro, lettuce, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
Can I use leftover chicken or beef?
Yes! You can make these Fajitas Texanas with leftover cooked chicken or beef; just slice into strips and add with the shrimp near the end. Since it is already cooked, it just needs to be cooked long enough to reheat it.
What should I serve with fajitas?
Although fajitas can be an all-in-one meal, if you want to serve it with sides be sure to check out our delicious restaurant-style Mexican rice.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ pound skirt, flank, or sirloin steak, sliced into bite-sized strips
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into bite-sized strips
- 2 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- ½ pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 8 tortillas
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup homemade guacamole, or purchased equivalent
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine marinade ingredients and marinate beef and chicken for one hour.
- Remove the chicken and beef from the marinade and drain well. Discard the marinade.
- Sauté beef, chicken, peppers, and onion in a large skillet in heated oil.
- Near the end of cooking time when meat is almost done, add the shrimp and tomatoes and cook until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Serve cooked meat and vegetables with tortillas and toppings. Each person assembles their own fajitas by putting meat/vegetable mixture in tortillas and topping with their choice of condiments, rolling up the tortilla, and eating by hand.