If you prefer not to use cream soups in recipes that call for undiluted “cream of” soups, try this substitution instead.
Cream Soup Substitution
If you prefer not to use cream soups in recipes that call for undiluted "cream of" soups, try this substitution instead.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- other vegetables/seasonings for flavor, mushrooms, celery, chicken bouillon, etc.
- Mix equal parts of butter & flour, stirring into a paste.
- Freeze in 1 T. balls or in the cubes of an ice tray.
- To make quick white sauce:
- Simmer 2- T. cubes of the frozen butter & flour mixture with milk, then season with additional salt & pepper to taste.
Thanks to Holly from Menus 4 Moms™ Yahoo group for this suggestion.
Nutrition per serving
Serving: 1 recipeCalories: 404 calCarbohydrates: 23 gProtein: 9 gFat: 31 gSodium: 2631 mgFiber: 1 gSugar: 12 gNet Carbs: 22 g