Your freezer stash of cooked chicken and sautéed onions will make this chicken and spinach pasta a snap to prepare. If you don’t have chicken and onions in the freezer, consider this a good time to stock up.
Chicken and Spinach Pasta Bake
- 8 oz. rigatoni, cooked al dente and drained
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sautéed
- 10 oz. pkg. frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 14 oz. can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray bottom of 9x13" baking dish. Drain chopped spinach well, pressing between paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, add drained spinach, sautéed onions, cooked rigatoni, cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, cream cheese, salt and pepper; mix together thoroughly. Spoon mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes; uncover and continue baking 15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
- If you do not have cooked chicken and onions in the freezer, you can sauté those while you are cooking the pasta.
- For a vegetarian option, omit the chicken and add sautéed mushrooms and diced red peppers or other vegetables.