Caprese salad is a wonderful way to enjoy ripe, fresh from the vine tomatoes. Fresh basil, fresh mozzarella cheese, and juicy, delicious tomatoes are a perfect summer combination.
⏲️ Time needed
With very little prep needed, this delectable and gorgeous side dish is ready in less than 10 minutes.
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- ripe tomatoes
- fresh basil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
Either alternate lengthwise or stack slices of mozzarella cheese, tomato, and fresh basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, drizzle with Balsamic vinegar, and serve immediately.
Alternating the slices lengthwise makes a beautiful presentation for the table while stacking 1 slice of each is easy to serve and makes sure that each bite has a drizzle of tangy Balsamic vinegar.
It’s important to use very ripe (but not overripe) tomatoes at room temperature and good quality fresh mozzarella cheese. I like to buy my cheese presliced so that I ensure even slices.
Basil is so easy to grow year-round in a sunny window that I am never without it.
Classic Caprese salad does not use balsamic vinegar so this is optional. If you have good quality tomatoes and cheese, you may want to omit it, but I love balsamic vinegar and glaze and always use it. The glaze is easier to control since it is thicker, but it is more concentrated.
Caprese Salad with Balsamic Vinegar
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes in the same diameter as the mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, or balsamic glaze
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Either alternate lengthwise or stack slices of mozzarella cheese, tomato, and fresh basil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper then drizzle with Balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.
📌 Pin this recipe