Hearty and flavorful, this copycat Zuppa Toscana based on Olive Garden's delicious recipe is a rich and filling soup made a little lower in fat and calories. It is the perfect blend of potatoes, spinach, sausage, and a creamy broth. Serve it with a fresh baguette for dipping and you don't need any other sides for a complete meal.
⏲️ Time needed
Zuppa Tuscano is a quick "prep then simmer" recipe. It takes about 15 minutes to get everything prepared, then about 45 minutes to simmer to delicious perfections.
This version is a lower fat version of the Olive Garden soup that inspired it, using turkey sausage and turkey bacon instead of pork (this saves about 130 calories per serving).
- Italian turkey sausage, removed from casings and cut into bite size pieces
- dice onion
- cooked and chopped turkey bacon
- minced garlic
- chicken broth
- half and half
- peeled and diced potatoes
- chopped spinach
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
🍲 Vegetarian option
To make a vegetarian version, use Beyond Sausage Hot Italian, omit the turkey bacon, and use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth. If you like the smoked flavor of cured meat without the meat itself, add a drop of liquid smoke to the soup (a little of this goes a long way).
Start by sautéing the Italian sausage and onion in a large pot until sausage is cooked through and onion is tender.
Add turkey bacon and garlic and sauté until garlic is slightly tender, about 2 minutes. When it is tender, add the broth and bring it to a boil. Add the diced potatoes and spinach and turn the heat to low. At this point, simmer for 30 minutes—this is a good time to prepare any sides or bread.
After 30 minutes, add the half and half and cook over low heat until just heated. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage
- 1 large onion
- 6 turkey bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 large potatoes
- 10 ounces pkg. frozen chopped spinach, or fresh equivalent - about 2-½ cups chopped
- 4 tablespoon Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Dice 1 large onion.
- Remove 1 pound Italian turkey sausage from casings and cut into bite size pieces.
- Sauté Italian sausage and onion in a large pot until sausage is cooked through and onion is tender.
- Add 6 turkey bacon slices and 2 teaspoons minced garlic and sauté until garlic is slightly tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add 8 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Peel and dice 3 large potatoes.
- Add potatoes and 10 ounces pkg. frozen chopped spinach, turn heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 cup half and half and cook until just heated.
- Serve garnished with 4 tablespoon Parmesan cheese for garnish.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 Side dishes
Soups like Zuppa Tuscano that have meat, green vegetables, and starchy vegetables don't need sides if you use large servings, but making smaller servings allows for bread for dipping (to me, soup isn't worth having if I can't dip a nice crusty bread in it!) and a salad to go with it.
📌 Pin this recipe