Calzones with ground turkey are easy to make and a nice change from pizza. The frozen bread dough makes a delicious crust for the calzone and saves time over making it from scratch.
Calzones are easy to make and a nice change from pizza. The bread dough makes a delicious crust for the calzone and using frozen bread dough saves time.
- 1.5 Lb ground turkey, cooked
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 batch frozen bread dough, thawed (enough for one loaf)
- Preheat oven top 425°F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray (stoneware works great for these).
- Combine all ingredients except bread dough in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Divide dough into 5 balls of equal size.
- On a lightly floured surface or pastry mat, roll each ball into a circle about 8" in diameter.
- Place ⅕ of the filling on one side of each circle, leaving at least ½" around the edges to get a good seal.
- Fold dough over filling, sealing the dough together around the edges using a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet 2" apart and bake at 425°F for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce.
Nutrition per serving
Calories: 480 calCarbohydrates: 44 gProtein: 45 gFat: 12 gSodium: 662 mgFiber: 2 gSugar: 1 g
Leave a Reply