Calzones with ground turkey are easy to make and a nice change from pizza. The frozen bread dough makes a delicious crust for the calzone and saves time over making it from scratch.
- 1.5 Lb ground turkey, cooked
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 batch frozen bread dough, thawed (enough for one loaf)
- Preheat oven top 425°F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray (stoneware works great for these).
- Combine all ingredients except bread dough in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Divide dough into 5 balls of equal size.
- On a lightly floured surface or pastry mat, roll each ball into a circle about 8" in diameter.
- Place 1/5 of the filling on one side of each circle, leaving at least 1/2" around the edges to get a good seal.
- Fold dough over filling, sealing the dough together around the edges using a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet 2" apart and bake at 425°F for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce.