Looking for a dressed up version of tomato soup? This delicious and satisfying savory soup with tortellini and spinach is perfect. You can serve it alone or add grilled cheese for more hearty appetites. If you add the sandwich, try using a different kind of bread and a fancy cheese for a real treat.
Tomato Tortellini Florentine Soup
satisfying savory soup with tortellini and spinach is perfect. You can
serve it alone or add grilled cheese for more hearty appetites.
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 30 oz. tomato sauce
- 15 oz. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup butter, cut into sections
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. cheese tortellini, cooked & kept warm
- Heat tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth to a simmer.
- Add garlic salt, basil, and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and add half and half and the butter sections.
- Heat, stirring regularly, until butter is melted and soup is hot but not boiling.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add cooked tortellini and mix gently.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.