This dressed-up version of tomato soup with tortellini and spinach is delicious and satisfying, and you can have it on the table in 15 minutes. It's an easy comfort meal for a busy weeknight.
⏲️ Time needed
Tomato Spinach Tortellini Soup is so quick and easy that you can have it on the table in 15 minutes.
- crushed tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- chicken broth
- garlic salt
- fresh basil
- half and half
- fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- cheese tortellini
Although fresh basil will result in the best flavor, dried basil can be used if fresh is unavailable. If using dried basil, use 1 teaspoon of dried basil for each tablespoon of fresh basil called for in the recipe.
Fresh tortellini is my favorite, but dried or frozen can be used if you prefer.
You can use tortellini with a different filling, or switch to a different pasta altogether. If you use tortellini with a different filling, choose one with a filling that will complement the flavors of the soup.
Frozen spinach can be used in place of fresh, but it should be thawed and drained before being added to the soup. Fresh spinach is faster and easier to use and has a better consistency, however.
Yes, this easy soup can be frozen. Please see the instructions below.
In the refrigerator, the soup will last 2-3 days. In the freezer, it will last for about 3 months before losing quality.
❄️ Freezer instructions
When freezing this soup, the tortellini should be saved separately. Follow all recipe instructions except cooking and adding tortellini. Tortellini should be cooked and added just before serving. Freeze soup and label with name, date, and instructions.
Tomato Spinach Tortellini Soup Date____________________
Thaw. Heat on stove while preparing 5 ounces cheese tortellini according to package directions. If the soup separates, whisk over heat until it reaches a smooth consistency. Add cooked tortellini to soup and serve.
Tomato Spinach Tortellini Soup
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 30 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup butter, cut into sections
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini
- Start water heating to a boil for tortellini as indicated on tortellini instructions.
- In a large saucepan, heat tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth to a simmer.
- When water is boiling, cook tortellini according to package directions. Set aside.
- Add garlic salt, basil, and sugar to tomato soup base. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and add the half and half and the butter sections.
- Heat, stirring regularly, until butter is melted and soup is hot but not boiling.
- Add cooked tortellini and spinach and stir gently. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and tortellini is hot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 What to serve with Tomato Spinach Tortellini Soup
A garden salad or a grilled cheese sandwich pair perfectly with this easy soup. Hearty bread makes a nice side for dipping in the soup.