Planned leftovers helps me to not only reduce waste but speed up prep time on meals using the leftovers. Because the Carne Guisada is already prepared, creating this dish is just a matter of assembling the layers and baking.
We almost always have rice in the refrigerator, but if we don’t, it’s easy to cook some in the rice cooker (if you don’t have a rice cooker, you are missing out on the easiest way to make rice—no more burned rice because it cooked too long). The meat is already seasoned, so if you don’t like spicy food, consider using a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes instead of the tomatoes and green chilies.
Tex-Mex Beef Casserole
- 3 cups prepared Carne Guisada
- 30 oz. can refried beans
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- ½ cup crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- pico de gallo and cilantro for garnish
- In a 9x12 baking dish, layer the rice, refried beans, tomatoes and green chilis, and carne guisada. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with fresh cilantro and pico de gallo.