Old fashioned pinto beans over cornbread is a frugal, filling, and flavorful meal. Making a big pot of pinto beans gives you a delicious meal plus lots of beans for planned leftovers.
⏲️ Time needed
The vast amount of time needed for cooking a big pot of pinto beans is the soaking time. If you follow our method of bulk cooking ingredients, you can use cooked beans from your freezer and serve this yummy comfort food in the time it takes to make the cornbread.
The ingredients are straightforward:
- cooked pinto beans
- 1 recipe prepared cornbread with corn kernels
- cilantro (unless you think cilantro tastes like soap, in which case may I offer my condolences and understanding if you skip this ingredient)
- shredded cheddar cheese
Cook the pinto beans according to the instructions (preparing extra to stock your freezer is a great idea to save time later), then serve over prepared cornbread with shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and chopped onions for a filling comfort meal.
❄️ Freezer instructions
I do recommend freezing cooked pinto beans since they take so long to prepare from dried. Once you have a freezer stock of cooked beans, recipes like this are quick and easy to put on the table at the last minute. Canned beans are never cooked to the same degree that homecooked beans are, so the tenderness, flavor, and consistency of homecooked beans give better results than canned.
Pinto Beans Over Cornbread
- 1 pound dry pinto beans, prepared
- Salt to taste
- 1 recipe cornbread, prepared
- ½ onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Break apart a piece of cornbread in each bowl and top with hot cooked pinto beans.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped onion, cheddar cheese, and chopped cilantro.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 Side dishes
The protein and carbs in this dish mean that the only thing left to add is a green vegetable. I like to serve a green salad with almost every meal, and it really is the perfect side to serve with pinto beans over cornbread.
📌 Pin this recipe
Leave a Reply