Stromboli and calzone are terms describing 2 very similar pizza-like dishes. For stromboli, dough is layered with fillings and rolled up lengthwise as tightly as possible and the edges are pinched to seal. For calzones, dough is cut into rectangles, fillings are placed on one half of the rectangle, and the dough is folded in half over the filling. The edges are sealed before baking. Pepperoni and mozzarella cheese make delicious fillings for both dishes, and this Pepperoni Stromboli recipe is mouth-watering.
Pepperoni Stromboli or Calzones
- 11 oz. tube refrigerated Crusty French Bread
- 2 teaspoon butter, melted
- 2 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 10 oz turkey pepperoni slices
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Open refrigerated French bread and gently unroll at the seam, rolling dough out into a 10x13 inch rectangle.
- For stromboli, layer dough with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Roll the dough up lengthwise as tightly as possible and pinch the edges to seal.
- For calzones, cut dough into 4 equal rectangles, place the mozzarella cheese and pepperoni in equal portions on half of each square and fold dough in half over filling. Seal edges.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet (seam side down for Stromboli). Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-20 minutes (less time for calzones; should be golden brown).
- Slice and serve with a small bowl of marinara sauce.
Nutrition per serving
Pin this recipe: