Ripe cherry tomatoes and fresh baby spinach are the perfect addition to pasta with a carbonara sauce. They cook up quickly on the stovetop with minimal fuss but make a refreshing and flavorful dinner. Try mixing up various styles of hearty pasta for a different balance of flavors.
Pasta Carbonara with Tomatoes and Spinach
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 oz. Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg
- 16 oz. pkg. penne pasta
- ¼ cup fresh basil, optional
- In a large pot, bring 3 quarts water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for about 1 minute then add spinach and tomatoes. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cheese, salt, pepper, and egg. Toss drained pasta with egg mixture. Add tomato/spinach mixture, tossing until sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle each serving with fresh basil if desired. Serve immediately.
Pin this recipe: