Due to the impending arrival of Hurricane Dorian, I had to pack up and evacuate the coast with quite a bit of refrigerator and freezer food. When combined with what I had at home, I had almost 3 dozen eggs and two jars of mayonnaise, so egg salad seemed like a good idea for dinner.
I had recently seen a post with a description of making egg salad in the Instant Pot without making hard boiled eggs first in a Facebook group (thank you, Kimberly Wilson!), so I was anxious to give it a try. I’m glad I did—it is so easy and completely avoids the mess of peeling hard boiled eggs!
Start with however many eggs you want to use (I did about a dozen) and about ⅓ cup of mayonnaise for each 6 eggs.Put ⅔ cup water into the Instant Pot liner and insert the trivet. If your inner pot is not non-stick, spray it with non-stick cooking spray (I didn’t do this and wished I had). Put the inner pot into the Instant Pot liner. Crack the eggs into the inner pot without stirring.
Close and seal Instant Pot and make sure the vent is on seal. Cook at manual pressure for 6 minutes and NPR for about 5 minutes. Vent and open Instant Pot. Using a knife, cut vertical and horizontal lines into the eggs as pictured.
I like to mix the mayonnaise with the yolks like I do for deviled eggs, so I removed the large chunks of yolks and set them aside. I didn’t take all of them out, just the large ones that I could easily get to.
In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise and egg yolks into a creamy spread. Gently mix the eggs remaining in the inner pot, breaking up larger pieces.
Add the mayonnaise mixture to the crumbled eggs and mix gently.
Add salt and pepper to taste before serving, and chill any leftovers.
No-Peel Egg Salad (Instant Pot)
- 12 eggs
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup water
- non-stick cooking spray
- Pour water into bottom of Instant Pot liner.
- Insert trivet into liner.
- Spray an inner pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place inner pot into liner.
- Crack eggs into inner pot. Do not stir.
- Close and seal Instant Pot.
- Turn vent to seal.
- Cook at manual pressure for 6 minutes.
- Natural pressure release for about 5 minutes.
- Vent and open Instant Pot.
- Using a knife, cut vertical and horizontal lines into the eggs.
- Remove large chunks of yolks and set aside.
- Gently mix eggs, breaking up larger pieces.
- Mix mayonnaise and egg yolks into a creamy spread and add back to chopped eggs.
- Mix gently and add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Chill any leftovers.