Beef simmered in a garlic tomato sauce is the tasty foundation of this easier-than-lasagna casserole. A family favorite that’s easy to make!
⏲️ Time needed
The meat needs to simmer in the sauce for about 15 minutes. If you don’t have cooked ground beef in the freezer, add 5-10 minutes for browning. Layering and cooking the casserole will take about 25 minutes. All in all, this recipe will take about 50 minutes.
- ground beef
- garlic cloves
- tomato sauce
- egg noodles
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
🌾 Adaptations for dietary restrictions
Gluten-free. Egg noodles are not typically gluten-free, but you can find GF egg noodles at some stores.
While the oven is pre-heating to 350°F, brown the ground beef and add in garlic, salt, sugar, and tomato sauce. Simmer the mixture on low for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions, and combine the sour cream and softened cream cheese together in a small bowl until it resembles cottage cheese.
In a 9×13 inch baking dish, layer ½ the noodles, then ½ the meat mixture, and top with the sour cream mixture. Spread layers out as evenly as possible, then add remaining noodles, remaining meat mixture, and top with the cheddar cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted.
Layered Italian Beef Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef and add in garlic, salt, sugar, and tomato sauce.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook and drain egg noodles according to package directions.
- Combine sour cream and cream cheese together in a small bowl until it resembles cottage cheese.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish layer ½ the noodles, ½ the meat mixture, top with the sour cream mixture, spread out as evenly as possible, add remaining noodles, remaining meat mixture and top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
📌 Pin this recipe