Homemade Italian meatball subs taste every bit as good as those from expensive sub shops, and they are easy to make.
This recipe uses our bulk meatballs from the freezer and homemade sauce, but if needed, you can substitute a jar of prepared pizza sauce and purchased frozen meatballs. Vegetarians can enjoy these easy meatball subs when using our vegetarian meatballs.
Homemade Italian Meatball Subs
- Oil, as needed
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 1-1/4 lbs. cooked frozen meatballs, thawed
- 6 hoagie rolls, split and toasted
- 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Homemade Pizza Sauce Ingredients
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 16 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Combine pizza sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté peppers and onions in a large nonstick skillet in oil, stirring frequently, until tender (about 3 to 4 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add cooked meatballs and pizza sauce. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Divide among rolls and sprinkle with cheese.