For a healthier and less expensive alternative to instant oatmeal packets, try this homemade instant oatmeal mix. Adapt the spices and add-ins to suit your taste and leave the jar on the counter for a quick and easy breakfast that beats cereal. (Be sure to check out our other homemade mixes.)
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-½ cups nonfat dry milk powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried fruit, dried apples, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc.
- 1 cup broken nut pieces, pecans, almonds, or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, optional, good if using dried apples
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Crush any clumps of brown sugar to blend with other ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve, mix ½ cup oatmeal mix with ⅓ cup boiling water. Mix well and let sit for 1 minute to thicken. Adjust the amount of water added for preferred consistency if needed.
Nutrition per serving