The combination of cream, butter, and Parmesan cheese creates a fantastic homemade Alfredo sauce, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg adds the perfect complement to the creamy richness. Calories and fat could be reduced by using milk and/or half-and-half along with some cornstarch to thicken the sauce instead of using cream.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg, affiliate link
- In a large saucepan, combine cream and butter. Heat over medium heat until butter has melted and cream is warmed, but do not boil.
- Add Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well and cook over medium-low heat until cheese is melted. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition per serving