Homemade sauce and hearty corn tortillas are the stars of these ground beef enchiladas. These are a great dish for the freezer, too!
⏲️ Time needed
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake, for a total of 45 minutes.
- tomato sauce
- chili powder
- garlic cloves
- ground beef
- garlic salt
- soft corn tortillas
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced black olives
Combine all the sauce ingredients and simmer while preparing the rest of the enchiladas.
Brown the ground beef and onion seasoned with oregano and garlic salt in a skillet until fully cooked.
Place the meat filling in the middle of the tortilla, roll up, and place in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
Repeat until all tortillas are used or the dish is full. Pour sauce on top and cover with cheese and olives.
Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Look for corn tortillas labeled as "super soft" to avoid issues with the tortillas breaking when you assemble the enchiladas. If your tortillas are breaking when you roll them, you can either dip them into the enchilada sauce before filling, or you can steam them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds covered with a damp paper towel.
❄️ Freezer instructions
To freeze enchiladas, place filled enchiladas into a freezer- and oven-safe pan and cover with foil. Package sauce, cheese, and olives separately and assemble before cooking. Label as follows:
Ground Beef Enchiladas Date __________________
Thaw completely, pour sauce over enchiladas, and top with cheese and olives. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Ground Beef Enchiladas
- 1 ½ cups water
- 8 ounces can tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Garlic salt to taste
- 10 soft white corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces can sliced black olives
- Combine all sauce ingredients and simmer while preparing the rest of the enchiladas as directed below.
- Brown ground beef and onion seasoned with oregano and garlic salt in a skillet until done.
- Place meat filling in the middle of the tortilla. Roll up and place in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Repeat until all tortillas are used or dish is full.
- Pour sauce on top and cover with cheese and olives.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 Side dishes
Restaurant-style Mexican Rice, refried beans, and/or salad are our favorites sides with enchiladas.
📌 Pin this recipe