This festive 4th of July Flag Cake is deliciously light and creamy. Featuring Angel Food Cake and a whipped cream cheese filling, it is the perfect summer dessert for an Independence Day meal.
This is actually a Cherries in the Snow recipe with a twist for the 4th of July. If you prefer, you can use fresh strawberries or strawberry pie filling in place of the cherry pie filling, or you could substitute blueberry pie filling for the fresh blueberries.
4th of July Flag Cake
This scrumptuous flag-themed dessert is actually a Cherries in the Snow recipe with a twist for the 4th of July. Fluffy Dream Whip mix is prepared with cream cheese and powdered sugar and spread over crumbled Angel Food cake for the base. Fresh fruit or pie filling can be used to design the flag topping.
- 1 prepared angel food cake, crumbled
- 2.6 oz. Dream Whip, 1 box
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1-½ cups powdered sugar
- 15 oz. cherry pie filling
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh
- Place angel food cake in the bottom of a 9x13 pan (I usually only use about ⅔ of the cake because my pan is not deep).
- In a medium bowl, mix Dream Whip according to package directions, using both envelopes. Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Gently mix in prepared Dream Whip.
- Carefully spread cream cheese mixture over the cake, taking care not to mix crumbs in.
- Place blueberries in a square in the upper left corner of the cake.
- Spread cherry pie filling in stripes to resemble a flag.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
If you prefer, you can use fresh strawberries or strawberry pie filling in place of the cherry pie filling, or you could substitute blueberry pie filling for the fresh blueberries.
Nutrition per serving
Calories: 294 calCarbohydrates: 41 gProtein: 4 gFat: 13 gSodium: 273 mgFiber: 1 gSugar: 19 g
Pin this recipe:
what is dream whip is that just cool whip?
Dream Whip is a boxed mix that you mix with milk to make a whipped topping. You could use cool whip or make homemade whipped cream (my preference) instead if you wish.