This easy and delicious crockpot chicken and dumplings with canned biscuits is a family favorite. The rich creamy sauce with shredded, tender chicken is a winning combination even before adding the dumplings. The result of both together is super easy comfort food that everyone loves.
⏲️ Time needed
The great thing about this recipe is letting the crockpot do the work for you. Start cooking the dish about 4-6 hours on high before you want to serve it. Shred the chicken and add the biscuits about 30 minutes before you want to eat. It's so convenient to just put everything into the slow cooker and let it do its thing until almost dinnertime!
I use a 6 qt crockpot, which is a larger model. I haven't tested this recipe in a small crockpot. Be aware that the size of your slow cooker will make a difference in cooking time and the amount of liquid needed. Larger crockpots will cook the same amount of food faster and hotter than smaller crockpots.
If you need to cook the chicken and dumpling recipe for longer than the recommended time you can. You may need to add additional liquid at the beginning if you increase the cooking time.
The amount of extra liquid you should add depends on how hot your slow cooker cooks as well as its size. You'll need to determine that amount for your specific model. I'd suggest about ¼ cup additional liquid per extra hour for a 3-4 qt. crockpot, then check the liquid level before adding the biscuits.
I increase the broth if I am cooking longer than 5 hours in my 6 qt. pot. I then add more liquid before adding the biscuits if needed. If you are using a smaller crockpot, you may not need as much extra liquid.
Using cream of chicken soup and canned biscuits make this yummy dinner so easy to prepare! It makes it look like I'm a great cook with virtually no effort. This chicken and dumplings recipe uses:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- softened butter
- cream of chicken soup
- chicken broth
- diced onion
- salt & pepper
- canned refrigerator biscuits
- fresh parsley for garnish
You can use any biscuit dough in the recipe, I just find the canned biscuits easiest. If you use frozen biscuits, make sure they are fully thawed before adding them to the crockpot.
If you like extra flavor, add poultry seasoning as desired at the beginning. (I don't find that this recipe needs it.)
Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Mix together the butter, soup, broth, onions, and parsley, and pour the mixture over the chicken.
Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Larger crockpots need less cooking time than smaller ones, so chicken and dumplings cooked in a 6 qt. crockpot may only need 4 hours while the same recipe in a 3.5 qt. crockpot might need the full 6 hours.
After the allotted cooking time, turn off the slow cooker and shred the chicken gently using a fork. To shred, hold each piece in place in the crockpot with a wooden spoon. Use the fork to pull the chicken apart until it is all shredded. You could also use two forks pulling against each other.
Using a sharp knife or kitchen shears, cut each biscuit into 9 pieces.
Stir the chopped biscuit pieces into the hot chicken mixture. Turn the crockpot back on to high and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
After about 30 minutes, or when the biscuits are cooked, the dish is ready. Gently stir the dumplings into the chicken and soup mixture.
Serve in bowls and garnish with parsley if desired.
If you'd like, you can add peas and carrots to the soup and chicken mixture at the beginning. You could add about a cup of chopped fresh carrots and about a half cup of fresh peas. 12 oz. of frozen peas and carrots will work if you don't have fresh vegetables—no need to thaw before adding them.
Try these other crockpot recipes:
Easy Crockpot Chicken & Dumplings
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 21 oz condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth plus extra for thinning
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 refrigerator biscuits, from can
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- salt & pepper to taste, if needed
- Spray a large slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken in bottom of crock pot.
- In a medium bowl, mix together butter, soup, broth, onions, and parsley. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- After cooking time has elapsed, turn off slow cooker and break chicken into pieces using a fork. Using a sharp knife or kitchen shears, cut each biscuit into 9 pieces.
- Stir biscuit pieces into hot chicken mixture.
- Turn crock pot back on to high and continue cooking for 30 minutes. If your mixture is too thick when you add the biscuits, add about ½ to 1 cup of hot chicken broth or water to thin the mixture.
- Add salt & pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve hot garnished with parsley if desired.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 Side dishes
I like this creamy chicken & dumplings served with just a salad on the side—it doesn't really need anything else.
📌 Pin this recipe