Slow cook perfectly seasoned roast beef all day to serve these low-prep French Dip Sandwiches for dinner.
⏲️ Time needed
There's very little prep time before or after cooking, and the actual cooking time is 8-10 hours.
- beef roast
- prepared mustard
- onion soup mix
- hoagie rolls
- non-stick cooking spray
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray, place roast in slow cooker, and spread mustard over the top of the roast. Pour the onion soup mix over top of the mustard, then cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
Remove roast from the slow cooker and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. While the meat is resting, strain the broth to use for au jus.
Butter each side of the hoagie rolls and toast until barely brown. Slice the roast and assemble sandwiches. Serve with au jus for dipping.
Because the crockpot traps moisture inside the pot and cooks slowly, this recipe is suitable for less tender (and thus less expensive) cuts of meat. If you want to ensure lots of au jus, you can add one half to a full can of beef broth—put the broth in the crockpot first, then set the roast gently in the broth and add the mustard and soup mix as directed.
Dried mustard can be substituted for the prepared mustard, but use it in a ratio of 1 teaspoon dry mustard to 1 tablespoon prepared mustard. Mix it with a couple of tablespoons of water before adding to the roast.
Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches
- 3 lb. beef roast
- 2 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 oz pkg onion soup mix
- 8 Hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place roast in slow cooker and spread mustard over top of roast.
- Pour onion soup mix over top of mustard.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.
- Remove from slow cooker and allow to sit for 5 minutes. While the meat is resting, strain the broth to use for au jus.
- Butter each side of the hoagie rolls and toast until barely brown.
- Slice roast and place on each sandwich. Serve with au jus for dipping.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 Side dishes
These delicious sandwiches go well with a variety of sides. Some sides I might pair with it:
📌 Pin this recipe