Packed with hearty vegetables and tender sausage, Crockpot Creamy Bratwurst Stew is the perfect meal for a cold night. Serve it with a salad and bread or on its own for a complete meal.
⏲️ Time needed
Allow 15-20 minutes to remove the casings, slice the brats, and chop your vegetables. The stew will cook for a total of 6-8 hours in the slow cooker, but about 30 minutes before serving you’ll need to add the cream and thickener.
About 30 minutes before serving (the vegetables should be tender and the sausage should be cooked through), you’ll add the half and half and the cornstarch mixture and cook for another 30 minutes. Total time is about 8-1/2 hours for small slow cooker or 6-1/2 hours for larger slow cookers or those that cook on the hot side.
- celery ribs
- green pepper
- beef bratwurst
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- half and half
- cold water
🍲 Vegetarian option
Surprisingly, it’s easy to make this deliciously creamy stew into a vegetarian meal. Just substitute Beyond Sausage brats for the meat and vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
When using the Beyond brats, you don’t really need to take them out of the casings—just slice and place in the crockpot.
Add the vegetables to the crockpot and top with the sliced bratwurst. Combine the broth, salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper, then pour over the top (in all honesty, I do this right in the crockpot, but if you don’t mind washing dishes you can mix them well in a bowl first).
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is no longer pink.
At this point we are going to thicken the stew and add the “creamy” to Creamy Bratwurst Stew. Stir in the half and half. In a separate small bowl (don’t skimp on washing dishes here since cornstarch will clump if you dump it directly into the crockpot) combine the cornstarch with the cold water and mix until it’s smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture to the stew and stir gently until well blended. Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes more or until the gravy is thickened.
Crockpot Creamy Bratwurst Stew
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 lbs. beef bratwurst, casings removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. cold water
- In a crockpot, combine the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and green pepper. Top with sliced bratwurst.
- Combine the broth, salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper; pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in half and half.
- Combine cornstarch with the cold water and mix until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to stew and stir gently until well blended.
- Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes more or until the gravy is thickened.
🥗 Side dishes
I’m not big on sides with soups and stews, so I would probably stick with some bread and maybe a salad.
📌 Pin this recipe