Balsamic vinegar, feta cheese, and grilled chicken combine to create a perfect blend of flavors, and with grilled chicken from the freezer, it is a quick and delicious meal.
If I had to choose the dish I would rather have than any other, it would probably be this one. It combines several of my favorites flavors: balsamic vinegar (which I believe to be The Ultimate Condiment), feta cheese, and grilled chicken. It is a quick and delicious meal that packs a lot of flavor.
We previously called this dish Chicken Orecchiette, but it can be made with any kind of small hearty pasta. When we were preparing the dish for photos and video, we didn't have access to orecchiette and had to use shells. Many of you have told us in the past that you also didn't have access to it. Orecchiette is delicious with the Mediterranean flavors, but you can substitute shells as we did here.
⏲️ Time needed
If you have prepped and have cooked chicken, peppers, and onions from the freezer, you can have this on the table in about 15 minutes. If not, it still comes in at under 30 minutes.
- cooked and rinsed shell or orecchiette pasta
- light extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- diced tomatoes
- red bell pepper
- cooked chicken
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- feta cheese
- shredded Parmesan cheese
Sauté the pepper and onion in about a tablespoon of oil over medium heat, then add the tomatoes and basil. Fire-roasted tomatoes add even more flavor to this dish.
Mix the cooked shells with the balsamic vinegar and add to the pan along with the Parmesan and feta cheeses.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with additional feta before serving.
Mediterranean Chicken with Pasta
- 16 ounces shell or orecchiette pasta, cooked & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon light extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2-3 teaspoon dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled, plus extra for garnish
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Dice red pepper and onion; sauté in a tablespoon of oil.
- And chicken, tomatoes, and basil and mix well.
- In a bowl, combine cooked pasta and balsamic vinegar. Add to pan with chicken and vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper then add feta and Parmesan cheeses.
- Toss well and serve immediately, garnishing with extra feta cheese.
- Orecchiette pasta's hearty thickness is the perfect for this dish, but not all stores carry it. If you can't find it, pasta shells are the best substitution.
- This can be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken or using your favorite plant-based substitution.