Pimentos and green chilies combine with cheddar cheese and tarragon to give Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti casserole its unique flavor. Tarragon is one of my favorite herbs to combine with chicken—the flavors are fabulous together.
⏲️ Time needed
This is a quick casserole to assemble—just the amount of time to cook and drain the spaghetti—if you have cooked chicken in the freezer (something I recommend and encourage as part of my meal plans). If you are starting from scratch, allow about 15 minutes for prep time.
Cooking takes about 25 minutes, so you can have Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti on the table in 40 minutes.
- cooked spaghetti
- cooked chicken (from freezer)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cream of chicken soup
- green chilies
- dried tarragon
- salt & pepper
🍲 Vegetarian option
I like this recipe I can easily make a vegetarian option by substituting broccoli and/or red bell peppers in place of the chicken, and substitute cream of celery soup for the cream of chicken soup.
Combine chicken, 1 cup cheese, soup, milk, pimientos, green chilies, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Add spaghetti and mix gently. Place mixture in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
❄️ Freezer instructions
The casserole freezes well so if you want to double up on the recipe, it's a good dish to stock the freezer.
To freeze, assemble the casserole in a freezer-safe container, but do not bake. Cover with foil or freezer paper and label with "Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti: Thaw and bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes."
Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 oz spaghetti, cooked according to directions
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon pimientos, diced
- 4.5 oz can green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine chicken, 1 cup cheese, soup, milk, pimientos, green chilies, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- Add spaghetti and mix gently. Place mixture in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 Side dishes
When I serve casseroles, I like to keep the sides simple so there aren't too many competing flavors going on. With Cheddar Chicken Spaghetti, I would serve a steamed green vegetable and/or a salad.
📌 Pin this recipe