Hawaiian sweet rolls, meatballs, cheese, and sautéed onions along with chopped crispy turkey bacon combine to make these tasty sliders that can be prepared as a main dish or an appetizer.
⏲️ Time needed
These yummy sandwiches can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes. Heating the meatballs will take about 10 minutes. While they're cooking, you can chop your onion.
Sautéing the onion and cooking and crumbling the bacon take about 15 minutes. Assembling and cooking the sliders takes about 5 minutes.
- frozen cooked meatballs
- turkey bacon
- BBQ sauce
- slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- Hawaiian sweet rolls
🍲 Vegetarian option
Our vegetarian meatballs are a great option for this recipe. Just substitute the plant-based meatballs and omit the bacon for a delicious vegetarian slider.
Heat meatballs in a pan by frying until browned and heated through. Fry the bacon over medium-high heat until it's crispy (add a little oil if needed). Remove the bacon from the skillet, leaving the grease.
Add onions to the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and sauté until tender.
Cut the rolls in half and add meatballs to the bottom portion of each roll. Brush the top of each roll with BBQ sauce. Add a piece of cheese, bacon bits, and sautéed onions to each slider.
Place under broiler next to the roll tops for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Place tops of rolls on each slider and serve. Smaller meatballs make the sliders messier, so forks might be in order.
Barbecue Meatball Sliders
- 1 lb cooked meatballs
- ⅓ lb turkey bacon, chopped
- ½ cup onion, sliced
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 3 slices sharp cheddar cheese, divided into quarters
- 12 Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Heat meatballs in pan by frying until browned and heated through.
- Fry bacon until crispy over medium-high heat (add a little oil if needed). Remove bacon from skillet, leaving the grease in the skillet. Add onions to the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and sauté until tender.
- Cut rolls in half and add meatballs to the bottom portion of each roll. Brush tops of each roll with BBQ sauce. Add piece of cheese, bacon bits, and sautéed onions to each meatball.
- Place under broiler next to the roll tops for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Place tops of rolls on each meatball and serve.
Nutrition per serving
📌 Pin this recipe
Inspired by the Smoky Mesquite BBQ Meatball Cheddar and Grilled Onion Sliders on Food, Family & Finds, this version of these delectable treats uses prepared meatballs for quicker prep time.