Baked spaghetti is an easy twist on a classic favorite, with the rich flavors brought out by baking.
⏲️ Time needed
Since baked spaghetti requires cooking the pasta then baking the casserole, it takes just a bit longer than simple spaghetti. Plan on sautéing the onion, pepper, and garlic as well as mixing together the sauce while the pasta is cooking. That should take less than 10 minutes, with the casserole needing an additional 30 minutes to bake.
The ingredients for baked spaghetti are simple: onion, green pepper, garlic, canned tomatoes, canned mushrooms, pizza sauce, pasta, seasonings, mozzarella cheese, and crumbled turkey bacon. You can easily make the recipe vegetarian by omitting the turkey bacon.
If you are making this dish as planned leftovers from our delicious Crockpot Marinara Sauce, you can omit the pizza sauce and tomatoes and substitute with 3-½ cups of marinara sauce.
Making the casserole is easy and requires just 10 minutes of prep. Start the pasta boiling according to the package instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper in skillet until tender. When done, drain the pasta.Combine tomatoes, mushrooms, and pizza sauce in bowl and mix well, adding the cooked spaghetti, vegetables, and seasoning to bowl and stir to combine. Place in a casserole dish and top with cheese and crumbled turkey bacon. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
❄️ Freezer instructions
This recipe freezes well, so it’s a good dish to double or triple to stock your freezer. If freezing, I’d recommend slightly undercooking the pasta (just reduce cooking time by a minute or two). Wrap in freezer paper and/or foil and label with “Baked Spaghetti: Thaw, then cook for 30 minutes at 350ºF”.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz can tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 4 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 16 oz jar pizza sauce
- 8 oz spaghetti
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices crisp cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper in skillet until tender.
- Combine tomatoes, mushrooms, and pizza sauce in bowl.
- Add spaghetti, vegetables, and seasoning to bowl and stir to combine. Top with cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
Nutrition per serving
🥗 Side dishes
Simple green vegetables like seasoned green beans, steamed broccoli, and sautéed sugar snap peas are good sides for baked spaghetti.
📌 Pin this recipe