Baked Potato Soup is one of our most requested recipes - it's creamy and rich with the perfect balance of flavors. To use it as planned leftovers, have baked potatoes during the week and simmer a pot of this satisfying soup on the weekend.
⏲️ Time needed
Since this recipe starts with potatoes that are already baked (it's perfect for using leftovers), it only takes about 35 minutes to make.
- baked & cooled baking potatoes
- all-purpose flour
- salt & pepper
- chopped green onions
- cooked and crumbled turkey bacon
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
🍲 Vegetarian option
Omit the turkey bacon for a vegetarian version.
Start with 4 large baked potatoes, cooled. I had small potatoes, so I used about 10 potatoes.
The recipe calls for scooping out the insides and discarding the peels, but I have long since abandoned peeling potatoes for anything. I used to always do it, but the peels are healthy so I include them in mashed potatoes, soups, potato salads, and just about everything else. Feel free to scoop out the insides and discard the skins if you wish.
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly. (This will take some time.) When the soup is nice and thick, add the potatoes, salt, and pepper.
I didn't have green onions when I was preparing this for photos, but I had a freezer full of sautéed onions and peppers, so I added about ½ cup of those. It's a flexible recipe so don't be afraid to make substitutions.
Mash until the potatoes are the consistency that you like.
Now the most important part - add 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
Cheese makes everything better, and if a little bit of cheese is good, a lot is fantastic. But I digress...
Cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Stir in sour cream and heat through.
Garnish with your choice of remaining green onions, bacon, and cheese before serving.
Baked Potato Soup
- 4 large baking potatoes, baked and cooled
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped and divided
- 12 slices turkey bacon, cooked, crumbled, and divided
- 1 ¼ cups cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 8 oz sour cream
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop out pulp and set aside. Discard skins.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly. (This will take some time.)
- Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoon green onions, ½ cup bacon, and 1 cup cheese. Cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Stir in sour cream and cook until heated, mixing well.
- Garnish with your choice of remaining green onions, bacon and cheese.
Nutrition per serving
📌 Pin this recipe