This easy and colorful dish is a hit every time I make it. With a "crust" of cooked spaghetti topped with seasoned vegetables and Parmesan cheese, it is a flavorful and hearty vegetarian main dish that will please the whole family.
When cooking for a variety of diet preferences, it is easy to get caught in the role of short-order cook. Your family won't even miss this meat in this hearty dish!
⏲️ Time needed
Primavera Pasta Pie takes about 40 minutes from start to finish.
- Parmesan cheese
- broccoli florets
- red bell pepper
- Italian seasoning
- half and half
🌾 Adaptations for dietary restrictions
Gluten-free. You can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta, which can be found in most grocery stores.
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. While spaghetti is cooking, melt the butter in a large sauté pan. When melted, add broccoli, onion, and red bell pepper. Season with Italian seasoning and salt. Cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
When cooked and drained, combine spaghetti, beaten egg, remaining butter, and ⅓ cup of Parmesan cheese. Mix well and press into a greased casserole dish to make a crust.
Turn vegetable mixture into the pan with spaghetti crust. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Mix remaining beaten eggs with half and half and pour over the casserole. Cook at 350° for 25 minutes or until the casserole is light brown and bubbly.
If you are using frozen broccoli florets instead of fresh, steam them and add them to the sautéed onion and red pepper just before combining everything and layering the vegetables over the spaghetti in the casserole dish.
Primavera Pasta Pie
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- water, as needed to cook spaghetti
- 3 eggs, beaten, separated
- 1 ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, separated
- 3 tablespoons butter, separated
- 2 cups broccoli florets, fresh
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup half and half
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. While spaghetti is cooking, melt 2 tablespoon butter in a large sauté pan.
- When butter is melted, add broccoli, onion, and red bell pepper. Season with Italian seasoning and salt. Cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- When spaghetti is done, drain and rinse.
- Combine warm cooked spaghetti, 1 beaten egg, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix well and press into a medium-sized (about 10 inch round) greased casserole dish to make a crust.
- Turn vegetable mixture into pan with spaghetti crust. Sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Mix remaining 2 beaten eggs and ½ cup half and half; pour over casserole.
- Cook at 350° for 25 minutes or until light brown and bubbly.
Nutrition per serving
📌 Pin this recipe