Lentils are a quick-cooking legume that tend to take on the flavor of whatever they are cooked with, making them a healthy and satisfying replacement for meat.
Healthy Lentil Tacos
These healthy and flavorful lentil tacos are great for an easy meatless meal.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- Oil as needed
- 12 flour tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Rinse the lentils and drain; set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion and garlic together until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin, and oregano; stir together for a minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the salsa before serving with lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.
1 tablespoon each of lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese used in nutrition calculation.
Nutrition per serving
Calories: 165 calCarbohydrates: 28 gProtein: 8 gFat: 3 gSodium: 555 mgFiber: 6 gSugar: 3 g