Eating a vegetarian dish at least once a week is a good way to save on groceries, and Fettuccine with Tomato Basil Sauce is quick and easy.
I almost always have the ingredients for pasta with marinara sauce on hand, and fresh basil adds a delicious touch to this dish; it’s so easy to grow your own year round if you have a sunny window.
Fettuccine with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup oil
- 28 oz whole tomatoes, broken up but undrained
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz fettuccine, cooked and kept warm
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until tender. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve sauce over fettuccine with Parmesan cheese for garnish if desired.