Making authentic Chili Rellenos at home can be a time- and labor-intensive project, but this casserole version packs lots of flavor without the work.
⏲️ Time needed
Because of the egg binding in this casserole, cook time is similar to that of quiche. Preparation time is minimal (5 minutes if you have cooked beef and onion in the freezer or 15 minutes if you don’t), and cook time is about 50 minutes.
- ground beef
- chopped onion
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fire-roasted whole green chilies
- shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- chopped green onions for garnish
🍲 Vegetarian option
Substitute vegetarian ground crumbles to make a vegetarian version. I have made this with Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground, which I prefer for the texture and taste.
Brown the ground beef and chopped onion, or if you use our method of bulk cooking ingredients, thaw the beef and onion.
Add the salt, freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, and flour to the beef and onion and mix well.
Drain the whole chilies and layer them in the bottom a casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, then top evenly with meat mixture.
Beat the eggs, then add milk to the eggs and mix well. Pour the egg mixture over the meat. Bake at 375°F for about 50 minutes.
Serve with shredded cheese and chopped green onions for garnish.
If you use cooked beef and onions from the freezer, this is a quick and easy meal to put on the table with little fuss.
If you prefer a more authentic cheese and it is available, you could substitute Queso Asadero.
Chili Relleno Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup flour
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted whole green chilies
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- non-stick cooking spray
- Brown ground beef and chopped onion. Add seasonings and flour and mix well.
- Drain chilies and layer in the bottom a prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with 3 cups cheese, then top evenly with meat mixture. Beat eggs, add milk, and pour over meat mixture.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes (check the last few minutes to be sure it isn't getting too brown. Serve with remaining shredded cheese and green onions for garnish.
🥗 Side dishes
Casseroles go well with simple side dishes. Chili Relleno Casserole would go well with Spanish or yellow rice and a green salad.
📌 Pin this recipe